July 19, 2011

Summer Lovin

"Had me a blast
Summer lovin' happened so fast!"

But there's no love between my pasty skin and the summer sun. I am pure European. I am not alabaster, ivory, fair, milky or snowy. I am a pallid and pasty pale. I don't tan I burn. Once I've burned I do turn a different shade. I'm merely pale instead of pasty pale.

You may be wondering why I bring this up on a blog about crafts. The answer is simple: Tan lines.



My only sister is getting married this September and this dress from Jasmine Bridal is the dress I'll be wearing as her Maid (Matron) of Honour.

Nothing I currently own looks even remotely like this. So unless I want to look like an ad for Neapolitan ice cream I need to keep my tan lines in check this summer. I've got a few options.

1) Stay out of the sun. 

Sure that sounds easy, but it's been really hot and sunny in Calgary lately. Not to mention a planned trip down to Mexico this August. So staying out of the sun isn't really an option.

2) Block the sun.

Again sounds easy, but... I really really dislike putting on sunscreen (it's all oily, and greasy, and smelly) plus even though I do put it on when I need to I consistently forget to re-apply it over the course of the day. I could also cover up, but I overheat easily that way.

3) Make sure the tan lines don't matter.

Of course this is the way I'm going. I want to make an outfit that either matches or comes just inside the lines I'll have on my Matron of Honour dress. I'm thinking something similar to these Simplicity patterns:
I'd need to modify either of them to be spaghetti straps rather than a halter (I had a d'Oh! moment and forgot what dress I'd ordered for the wedding) but by then I'd already found a few patterns I liked. 

Here's what I'm planning on making it in:

Tune in... soon... and I'll show you how I'm going to draft it.

Any other suggestions for patterns?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...